At the bus stop:
- Students and parents are responsible for safety and proper student behavior going to and from the stop, and while waiting for the bus
- Students must stand off the roadway while waiting
- Students must respect other people’s property
- Students must not push, shove, or engage in horseplay
- Parents should supervise children at the stop
- Students must arrive at the bus stop at least fifteen (15) minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time.
- Students must wait for and get off the bus only at the approved stop locations
During loading and unloading:
- Always stay away from the 12 foot “danger zone” around the bus, except when you are directed by the driver to get on or off the bus.
- Never pick up an object that you drop under or near the bus. Ask the driver for help.
- Always be sure the driver can see you
- Make sure clothing and backpacks have no loose drawstrings or long straps that could catch in the handrail or bus door
- When you see the bus coming, stand at the stop and wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before approaching the bus
- Always wait for the driver to signal that it is safe to cross the road and/or load into the bus
- When crossing a traffic lane, always look left, right, then left again; crossing only if approaching traffic has stopped
- Never walk behind the bus
- Only board your assigned bus, unless other arrangements are approved by your school
During the bus ride:
- Always follow the driver’s directions.
- Never distract the driver from driving unless there is immediate danger to you or others
- Always remain seated and keep the aisles clear
- Always remember eating, drinking, and chewing gum are prohibited
- Never bring unsafe or unauthorized items into the bus (glass items, sharp objects or aerosols)
- Always wear your seat belt when one is available
- Always keep your arms, legs, and head inside the bus
- Always show respect for your fellow students
- Always keep conversation and noise at a reasonable level and remain quiet at railroad crossings. The Student Code of Conduct applies in the bus as well as in the classroom.