Walton County School District transports students a little over one million miles each year which is about 40 times around the world.
Other Interesting Transportation Facts:
- Walton County School District transports approximately 4,800 students to and from school daily, covering 6,000 miles.
- The Walton County School District transports the DeFuniak Springs student population the equivalent miles to Seattle, Washington and back each day.
- The Walton County School District employs 95 committed drivers and runs 91 routes countywide.
- Fuel cost averages $500,000.00 each year burning 1200 gallons of diesel fuel each day.
- A bus driver’s day begins as early as 6:00 a.m. and ends around 4:30 p.m.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, American students are nearly eight times safer riding in a school bus than with their own parents and guardians in cars.